Saturday, January 3, 2009

‘Aamir’s first reaction was that Salman suited the role better’

Director AR Murugadoss, who also directed the Tamil version, gets talking about Ghajini, the film which is breaking all records at the box-office. 


Did you expect Ghajini to be the box-office record- breaker of 2008?
Actually I’m quite surprised and overwhelmed by the huge response to Ghajini. What amazed me is that it has done well in single-screen theatres and small towns as well! 

How was the stay order by the Madras High Court for Ghajini’s release vacated?
That issue is between the two producers A Chandrasekaran who made the Tamil version and Madhu Mahenta who made the Hindi version. I believe Mr Mahenta has deposited some money in court and released the film. The case is not closed though, as the producers are to meet again before taking a final decision. 

Is the allegation by A Chandrasekaran that you forged documents to give the remake rights in other languages true?
No, that’s not true. Anyway, the case is still in court and therefore I cannot talk about it.

What do you have to say to the allegations that the film is a remake of the Hollywood blockbuster Memento?
I watched Memento after I wrote the script of Ghajini. Except for the short-term memory condition, there is no similarity between the films, not even in any scene. 


How did you think of casting Aamir Khan in Ghajini, which is a violent action thriller?
I am a big Aamir Khan fan, and when I thought of a Hindi remake I approached him to play Sanjay Singhania. After watching the Tamil version, his first reaction was that Salman Khan suited the role better ! But I told him that if he worked on his body it would be something fresh for the North Indian viewers and he agreed. 

Is it true that Aamir takes over the directorial reins while acting in a film?
When Aamir saw the Tamil version he did say that the climax needed to be changed, something we both discussed before making the changes. Otherwise he would only give his inputs if I asked him. I had to consult him at times, as the culture and language were new to me. But I liked his suggestions, as he is a very intelligent person. 

How appropriate is anger and violence as a solution to situations, as shown in Ghajini?
See, even I think that anger and violence are no solutions to any issue. But Ghajini is only a film, an entertainer. The audience should not take it seriously.

0 comments:

Latest & Hot News From Telugu movie blog